SEPTEMBER- SEXUAL HEALTH AWARENESS MONTH.
Happy September, everyone. In honor of Sexual Health Awareness Month, we wanted to take some time to discuss a topic that many adults in the US may not fully understand. It’s a fact that maintaining good sexual health is one of the components of good mental and physical wellbeing. However, in order for women to achieve and maintain good sexual health, it’s important to pin down exactly what we mean when we use that term.
September is Sexual Health Awareness Month according to the World Health Organization, sexual health is defined as a state of physical, emotional, mental, and social well-being in relation to sexuality. Sexual health means more than just the preventing sexually transmitted infections (STI). Good sexual health means that matters pertaining to sex and sexuality bring positive associations and that the act of sex is safe, pleasurable, and free of negativity or violence.
To help spread awareness this September, we wanted to share a few tips for how women can maintain good sexual health through the years:
(1) Undergo STI testing during annual well woman exams.
(2) Be aware of the possibility of pregnancy.
(3) Women who do not want to become pregnant should learn about all available birth control options.
(4) Speak with your sexual partner if any aspect of sex is making you anxious or uncomfortable (physically or emotionally).
(5) Be aware of potential issues related to sex like vaginismus and their effects.
(6) Discuss STIs with a board-certified gynecologist and understand how to minimize their risk through safe sex.
(7) Discuss STIs with a board-certified gynecologist and understand how to minimize their risk through safe sex.
We understand that it can be embarrassing or intimidating to discuss matters pertaining to sexual health. However, communicating openly and honestly with a reproductive healthcare expert can be highly beneficial when it comes to maintaining good sexual health. Here at knkycouples, we don’t discriminate or expose your confidential sexual health concerns. Send an email to email@example.com